I just came across this article on NY times, about a male nurse working in Mount Sinai West Hospital in New york who died recently due to coronavirus infection. Please read this, it will make us realize that our judgements and analysis could go wrong and can be fatal.
I would like to encourage all my readers to let our judgement and information about something that we completely don’t know about be influenced by supplementing them with practice of basic rules, laws and protocols.
LETS “KEEP IT SIMPLE” AND JUST DO THESE 2 THINGS FOR NOW UNTIL WE HAVE AN ANTIDOTE FOR THIS VIRUS
1. DO NOT PANIC AND THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT IT AS IT CREATES MORE ANXIETY WITHIN US AND AMONG THE FAMILY MEMBERS, JUST FOLLOW BASIC MEDICAL ADVISE AND CENTRAL GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES AND IMPLEMENT IN YOUR DAY TO DAY LIFE TILL THE RESTRICTED TIME. FOR QUERIES AND DOUBTS ITS BEST TO DISCUSS THEM WITH HEALTH PROFESSIONALS INSTEAD OF SEARCHING AND READING ONLINE OR IN BOOKS.
2. THERE ARE CERTAIN WAKE UP CALLS WITH REGARDS TO BASIC PREVENTIVE MEASURES THAT DESPITE OF KNOWING WE DIDNT FOLLOW PREVIOUSLY AND WE SHOULD ENSURE WE PUT THEM IN PRACTICE FROM TODAY ONWARDS.
Human Consciousness or Awareness/Inadvertent behavior & Human Strength/Weaknesses or limitations are being tested during this difficult time by the nature.
Let’s look at today’s latest statistics about coronavirus cases all around the world starting december 2019 till today.
NUMBER OF PEOPLE AFFECTED- 341561
NUMBER OF PEOPLE RECOVERED- 99040
NUMBER OF PEOPLE DIED- 14748
China, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Iran and USA being at highest morbidity and mortality rates among all.
What are the 5 health determinants that reflects a person’s health?
1. Environment condition
2. Literacy rate
3. Social status of an individual
4. Economic status of an individual
5. Person’s individual characteristics and behaviour
In coronavirus outbreak, inappropriate environment conditions, and individual person’s characteristics and behavior are the major determinants that lead to this outbreak and later on after the pandemic situation other determinants combined with these 2 top determinants determined the morbidity and mortality among people.
Our ecosystem is in synchrony with the living and non-living things on this earth. Coronavirus outbreak reflects there is a imbalance in this ecosystem. If we look at the immense numbers of people affected and died due to this virus, it definitely invites us to rethink our ways of living. Although we know from the past infections like SARS and NIPA virus outbreaks that this virus is also zoonotic in nature, we are not actually able to point out the source of infection. If we observe in this outbreak developed nations has a high morbidity and mortality as compared to the developing nations which is quite unusual and worrisome. Despite so much of advancement in all round development we are unable to save people from dying. Death of 14000 people for a silly reason is unaffordable.
Another concern that is being raised is future environmental health hazards due to our inadvertent way of living. We really need to brainstorm our ways of living that could be hazardous to us and make necessary changes to ensure our future safety against these disease. Best preparedness against future hazard will be when we don’t ignore and ensure basic environmental and human requirements for optimal living. Adding to this also when we prioritize them above business and greedy growth by inadvertently ignoring the basics. How can we climb the 5th step of the stairs by ignoring the 1st one? Doing so we let ourselves to injuries by falling down.
This pandemic reflects how we are all connected by nature despite all the individual differences bases of religion, caste, creed, likes and dislikes e.t.c that we have built in our minds. This time also gives us an opportunity to realize how our individual action or inaction can affect others tremendously in positive or a negative way. Its indeed nature’s call live a highly conscious life and remove all the indifferences that we intentionally or inadvertently created in our minds.
Let’s live a life of high awareness with a vision of UNITY and LOVE for each other!
Coronavirus is a zoonotic infection(infection that humans acquire from animals), in this case either bat or pangolins(endangered species of china). Bats’ and Pangolins immune system is stronger than human immune system. So if the virus has to enter bats or pangolins immune system the virus has to multiply and become more virulent in doing so it becomes well equipped to invade bats’ bodies. The infected bats’ when consumed by human as food become the entry route into human body system. Human immune system being weaker and virus being stronger one. It takes long time for human immune cells to fight against the virus and therefore increasing the morbidity and mortality. Mortality more so in people who are immune-compromised such as elderly, premature infants and babies, and diseased people who have acquired illnesses like Diabetes. Following are the things one should do to protect themselves from coronavirus.
1. First thing for us is to make our immune system stronger. Simply taking sufficient rest of 8 to 10 hours can help the body to prevent from Coronavirus infections
2. Consuming proper and balanced diet especially fruits and salads so as not to fall prey to the infection. Drinking hot soups and hot water daily several times helps in ensure good protection as hot environment is not suitable for the virus to grow consuming hot fluids can restrict the growth of virus.
3. Basic hygiene of washing hands after handling unknown objects or person.
4. Whenever possible take sunbath, heat reduces the multiplication of virus.
5. Wearing protection devices like face masks and gloves when necessary.
6. Avoid going to crowded public places and transportation.
7. Gain sufficient knowledge about this virus infection and discuss it with some health professional so as to acquire good practical perspective about this infection.
8. For sure to avoid travelling to countries that can make you vulnerable to acquiring this infection.
SARS outbreak in 2002, from guangdong city of china believed to have spread from the bats
affecting 8000 people across 26 countries and now coronavirus epidemic affecting 90000 people worldwide and causing more than 3000 deaths is also found to be 96% related to the bats and 99% to pangolin mammal.
Despite the fact that they reserchers have not been actually able to pinpoint the exact source of virus, coronavirus is considered to be a zoonotic virus. A study done in the university of berkely california found that bats immune system are more powerful than humans. Hence if the virus affected bats has to enter bats immune system must make itself more virulent by multiplying rapidly and other structural modifications. Once bats are affected themselves through their saliva and feces they affect other animals as well and when human come in contact with bats or animals affected by bats they also become the part of chain of victims. Human immune system being weaker than the bats and these animal’s system it could lead to high morbidity and fatality among humans. Elder people, the people who have underlying diseases like diabetes that could weaken the immune system and premature infants are at high risk of fatality after acquiring this virus
Coronavirus are zoonotic virus meaning they are transmitted from animals to humans. It can be presented as common cold, flulike, Coughing, breathing difficulty, and in severe cases difficulty of breathing, pneumonia, kidney failure and even death. As the virus has tendency to spread from human to human by close contact via air droplets, sneezing and coughing it is best prevented Firstly, by avoiding contact with person who may seem to be presenting like common cold. Secondly, by consumption of meat of bats, pangolins and as such any possible animal that could potentially be the source of coronavirus. Routine hygiene measures for sure can reduce prevention of coronavirus.
ELDERLY PEOPLE, PEOPLE WITH UNDERLYING DISEASES LIKE DIABETES THAT COULD WEAKEN OUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND PREMATURE INFANTS ARE AT HIGH RISK. HENCE THEY SHOULD TAKE ALL THE MEASURES TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM THIS DISEASES. ALSO IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO CONSULT FAMILY PHYSICIAN OR INFECTION DISEASE SPECIALIST TO DISCUSS ABOUT CORONAVIRUS